POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : grep 'logo' /etc/collectedWisdom : Re: grep 'logo' /etc/collectedWisdom Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:21:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: grep 'logo' /etc/collectedWisdom
From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 8 May 2000 17:55:09
Message: <391737bd@news.povray.org>
"Henry" <htp### [at] maccom> wrote :

> >     I agree that words change, but the function we want is still here.
We
> > want something by which POV-Ray can be recognized.
>
> Why?

    I don't know why "we" want one, -I- want one that I can put into my
scenes so that people will be able to tell by looking at it that it was made
using POV-Ray. Personally, I don't want the -name- POV-Ray in my scene, and
I want whatever it is to be subtle, so that it doesn't distract from the
image. I would prefer something that is symmetrical, but that's just me.

    You comments about the name are reasonable, and as you note work well
for selling things. But we are not really trying to sell things. At most, we
are trying to move POV-Ray up the respect ladder to where it belongs, rather
than at the bottom of some other, perhaps lower quality, but commercial
renderers. I (again, even when I use the word "we" I am not really speaking
for us -all-) just want some people to see some of the amazing images that
people make using POV-Ray and then recognize the little object that tells
them what program was responsible for the quality. Sure, if it was the words
"POV-Ray" it would work, but IMHO, it wouldn't be as classy. It would be, as
you say, like Coke or McDonalds, just another renderer...